The Sustainable Infrastructure Portal helps governments, citizens and financiers address the challenges in closing the USD 90 trillion global infrastructure gap and to position infrastructure as the catalyst for realising the Sustainable Development Goals.
What Is Sustainable Infrastructure?
IISD defines Sustainable Infrastructure as assets that:
- Lower carbon and environmental footprints
- Provide for the stewardship of natural ecosystems
- Move beyond compliance on core labour standards and human rights
- Provide for the use of clean technologies
- Trigger green innovation across domestic and international value chains
- Spur investment in education, up-skilling and R&D
- Increase employment
- Are financially viable
- Crowd-in domestic investors and businesses
- Increase FDI and domestic value-added
- Optimize value for money for tax payers and investors across the asset lifecycle